[nagdu] GDF training

Margo and Arrow margo.downey at verizon.net
Fri Mar 16 17:10:56 UTC 2012

Jenine, thanks for the explanation of GDF's training techniques.  I believe
all of the schools have picked up things from the other schools--at least
the schools in the guide dog schools council.

I have always gone over and beyond what Seeing "eye teaches.  Seeing eye
teaches find now but I've always taught my dogs that command along with some
word or words even while in class.

also, my dogs have all done some leash guiding but not street crossings.

I think clickker training and food rewards are great in certain situations
but I do not wish to rely heavily on those tings.  I have been successful
with 4 dogs without the use of clickers and without the use of food rewards.
I am not adverse to those things but I have not yet encountered a situation
in which those things need to be used but would be willing in specific
situations to use those tools.

Margo and Arrow