[nagdu] blind dog training

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Fri Mar 23 12:23:55 UTC 2012

Mariea,

Katryn who is on this list runs her own dog training business.  She has
owner trained her guides in the past, but currently has a dog from
GDF.   There are also several owner trainers.  Marty also does rescue
work and does a lot of training with those dogs.

I understand the desire for formal education in dog training and I wish
you much luck in getting that arranged.  However I haven't heard a lot
of positive experiences from others who have had luck with that.
Doesn't mean it can't work, just that you can probably expect a struggle.

You don't need any formal education to be a dog trainer though.  I think
the best way to learn is to jump in and just do it.  If you can find a
local trainer that will mentor you or let you sit in on classes or
whatever that would be a good place to start.  You could volunteer at a
rescue or foster organization working with their dogs in basic manners.
Dogs are much more easily adopted when they are housebroken and have
some basic skills down.  Or if you can get a dog of your own to practice
on that is also an excellent way to learn.  If you have friends and
family with dogs that need a bit of brush up work on skills, offer your
services for free.  Most folks won't pass up free!

I'm understanding that you are blind and you want to train pet dogs.  If
that is correct then I suggest the above.  If I'm wrong and you want to
get into guide dog training then I'd suggest looking for employment with
one of the guide dog schools.  From what I understand they require a
general understanding about blindness and/or dogs but provide  the
specialized skills needed to train guide dogs within the organization,
thus the several years needed to work your way up through the various
levels to full trainer status.

Good luck!
Julie