[nagdu] People First, Please was Re: blind dog training

Marion Gwizdala blind411 at verizon.net
Fri Mar 23 20:57:09 UTC 2012

Larry,
    Though most people know me by name because I make it a habit to
introduce myself and find out the person's name I am speaking with, I
sometimes say, "Hi! This is Marion, the tall, redheaded blind guy!" I think
it would be rather cumbersome to say, "the man who is tall, who is
redheaded, and is visually impaired." (The latter is just for those people
who also believe we shouldn't use the term "blind"! (grin) About the only
time I use "people first" language is when I am doing professional writing
and the publication for whom I am writing requires it.
Fraternally yours,
Marion