[nagdu] Political Correctness ?? and rudness

Marsha Drenth marsha.drenth at gmail.com
Mon Mar 26 02:21:58 UTC 2012

Julie,

I would say exactly what you wrote. I am comfortable with blind, and the
meaning that is behind the word. Of course when I introduce myself I don't
say, "Hi I am Marsha, I'm blind." But like in my most recent
hospitalization, people would say, "oh you can't see." Me: "Yes I am blind."
I would notice they were shocked that I used the word. And I would usually
follow it up with, "Yes blind, because that is what I am, I have no usable
vision." And would leave it at that. I think the different words for blind,
visually impaired, and the other silly names all depend on your
comfortability of your blindness and lack of vision.

Marsha