[nagdu] Report on my travels to Mexico with Loyal

Lyn Gwizdak linda.gwizdak at cox.net
Wed Mar 28 16:57:10 UTC 2012

Hi Cheryl,
Nice to see you back on the list.

I live in San Diego and I used to go down to Tijuana back in the early '90s
and haven't been there since.  Now you need a passport or one of those
limited passport cards that people can use to go to Canada but not to Europe
or other places not on the North American continent.

The last time I was in Tijuana, I did see the loose dogs and, fortunately,
had no problem with them.  I did eat in a restaurant where they were going
to deny me access but relented when we agreed to sit near the door - which
we did.  I was with a group of people and knew that the places in Tijuana
might not have the same access laws as the US does.  Another time I wwent to
Tijuana, I was with my sister and a friend and I had my guide Olivia.  I got
seperated from my sister and friend - we were looking at stuff in an outdoor
market.  A man came up to me and asked me if I would sell him my dog in
broken English.  I shook my head no and said, "No, mi perro de guia" in
Spanish and pointed to my eyes and said, "Ojos no bueno" and he did leave me
alone.  Afterwards, I found my friends and thought, "What if he forcedly
took Olivia from me!"  I would have been left in a foreign country without
any mobility aide!  Yikes!!!  Then it was starting to get dark and we
decided to leave for home.  Some men started to harass us on the pedestrian
bridge but fortunately we weren't harmed.  After that, I decided that we've
seen enough of Tijuana and didn't need to come back - not with my dog or not
in the late afternoon.  We have not been back at all and have no plans to.
Besides, I don't have that passport card anyway.

Lyn and Landon who are just as happy to tour THIS country!