[nagdu] Making a good impression with dogshoul

NCBootman ncbootman at gmail.com
Sun May 13 03:43:45 UTC 2012

Debbie,

Think about your training with your guide dog. Would your instructor at the
school have accepted this behavior on your part? Why or why not. This gives
you a way to explain your actions to your boss. Also, it can't hurt to
contact your school and speak to the graduate services person and ask your
school if they consider this inappropriate use of a guide dog or a perfectly
acceptable way of managing in that situation. Then you know you have
somebody on your side.

I gave you this advice because while it would be nice to be able to tell
boss lady she is out of bounds, the workplace is an interesting creature to
manage. By checking with your school, and telling her this in a polite way,
it says to her that you have heard her concern, taken her seriously, and
investigated the facts. It makes it harder for her to use this as her point
of concern. The use of a dog leash may in fact not be the issue at all. For
you, asking your school gives you solid ground to stand on and a
professional resource to back you up in the event that your boss lady tries
to push this further and uses it against you in a review etc or other work
performance. I worked for a company and I and they knew there was an
incident of discrimination. I confronted them when that became necessary but
never used that word. I simply spoke in facts. Amazingly, the practice in
question suddenly was dropped.

You obviously don't want to lose your job. So, play her game and maintain
your rights and independence at the same time. You can do this.

Greg in NC