[nagdu] back with question and update

Marsha Drenth marsha.drenth at gmail.com
Mon May 14 13:31:36 UTC 2012

Hi List,

We got back last night. The bad part is that we came home with colds. It was
a nice Mother's day. Now I just need to get back my pup from the sitters and
life will be back to normal.

I read all the messages on the list while I was gone. The food thread was
very interesting, and Thank you to those who recommended
dogfoodanalysis.com. I will be changing Emma to a food with less fiber and
more protein. So if anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.
Currently she is on Royal Canin, GS blend.

While I was gone I got a call from the local SPCA that someone had placed a
complaint about me with them. The person was anonymous of course, so I have
no clue who called them. But the complaint was that I kicked Emma, and that
I was working her even though she had an upper respiratory infection.
Against the vets recommendations. The lady who I spoke to was very very nice
and has had other guide dog complaints. I have never ever kicked my dog, so
I have no clue where this is coming from. Nor has Emma had a upper
respiratory infection. Now I did explain to the SPCA lady that Emma has
recently been diagnosed with EPI, but that the vet knows about it, and knows
that I was not working her as much. But the vet did not recommend that she
NOT work at all. I told the lady that she was welcome to call the vet to
check up on me, as I have nothing to hide. I have never gotten any calls
from the SPCA before, and only one complaint made to the TSE in the 4plus
years I have had Emma. I can't imagine even kicking Emma. The result of the
call was that she, the SPCA lady, wants to do an article in the local
newspaper about how guide dog handlers interact with our dogs differently
than handlers of pet owners. So my question to you all, is what do I tell
her? Its not that I think we interact differently but in a way we do. Unlike
just pet owners they tend to coddle their pets, unlike guide dog handlers,
we might do this but at home when the pup is not working. I am being given a
voice to speak to the public what should I say? I also told the SPCA lady
that if that person who made the original complaint was to call back, that
she tell that person that they should approach me. I don't bite nor does my
dog. Not sure who it was, or why they would say things that are not true
about me. I also volunteered for the SPCA to exam Emma and to come to my
home to look around. They said that none of that was necessary.

Hope all is well with everyone?

Marsha, Who is missing her emma girl!