[nagdu] Air Travel With a Guide Dog

GARY STEEVES rainshadowmusic at shaw.ca
Tue May 15 16:51:34 UTC 2012

Hi Mark:

I have flown with Bogart about 9 times in our two years together. He does quite fine. I too am trying to learn how he will cope with a long flight since I am considering taking him to London England. Basically I stop any food about 12 hours before flying, stop water about 4 hours and if possible get him out for a good run before heading to the airport which will usually get out anything left inside himn.  My average trip time was about 7 - 8 hours from grass to grass.

Last year I did an experiment while flying from Vancouver to Quebec City with a lay over in Montreal. Bogart probably could have made it the whole way but I thought I'd test out my airlines promise of being able to assist us to a relieving area.  Well, writing about this reminds me I forgot  to give them feedback. Basically I waited for about 20 minutes for the person to come and get me. Once she got me we went out through security, outside, Bogart actually went pee and then fast tracked back through security and then she took me to my gate where my travel companions were. The thing worked great once the staff arrived. However I had warned them ahead of time that I would be looking for this service and if it had been at hand another person in our group would have had time to relieve  his dog before his slightly earlier flight. It was good I did this since our flight ended up being delayed by 1.5 hours.

Bogart flies fine. He guides eagerly onto the plane, greets the staff happily. He is a bit nervous on landing and take off but he has gott better. Those small prop planes keep him pretty stressed the whole time. He is more of a jet setter, hoping for first class upgrades. :)

Good luck with your flight.

Gary