[nagdu] The Process of Getting a Guide

Pickrell, Rebecca M (TASC) REBECCA.PICKRELL at tasc.com
Tue May 22 15:43:46 UTC 2012

        Excellent post.

-----Original Message-----
From: nagdu-bounces at nfbnet.org [mailto:nagdu-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of NCBootman
Sent: Monday, May 21, 2012 5:33 PM
To: NAGDU Mailing List, the National Association of Guide Dog Users
Subject: Re: [nagdu] The Process of Getting a Guide

We must always remember (and I forget too) that we visually impaired and
blind folk are so diverse that when requirements and directions are written
for programs like guide dog schools, they have to assume some specifics. I
think it is generally thought that people might be somewhat newly blinded
rather than those of us who have been around since before anything like
todays system was in place. So, if a person was blinded five years ago, went
to a Rehab center and took mobility, that piece of paper sure helps out in
school's documentation. But, then, an odd situation like me and others comes
along and they just deal with it and serve us and get the necessary
information in the best way possible. So, I hold no fault with schools with
such statements when they say they are willing to help me get what they
need.

Greg