[nagdu] private guide training

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Tue May 29 21:37:59 UTC 2012

Jessica,

You mentioned that it will come down to whether Pilot or the private
trainer comes through first.  I don't think that's a fair plan for the
private trainer.  Training a dog from scratch can take anywhere from 4
months to several years.  It can take weeks to months to find a dog or
puppy.  Then maybe a year or more of puppy training or a few months of
catch up if you start with an adult.  Then perhaps four to six months of
actual guide training.  At the end of all that there is no guarantee.
The trainer might have to start the process all over with a second dog.

But I'm concerned about what happens to all the trainers work and the
dog if Pilot finds a dog for you first, which I'd strongly guessing they
will.  I don't think it'd be fair to a private trainer for them to
commit to all this time and work and a dog and then you change your
mind. Going through a private trainer to get a guide dog has some
advantages, but I don't think speed of placement is one of them.

Anyway it's something to consider.

Julie