[nagdu] Learning new routes with a guide dog.

Nadja Öberg starwalnut at yahoo.fr
Tue Oct 9 14:18:31 UTC 2012

BS"D

Rebecca,

I don't think that the school is against that we'll explore our surroundings but that many guide dogs wouldn't make it mentally. What I understand from a guide dog trainer who has worked with guide dogs in Holland and Belgium their dogs are livelier then in Sweden. Many guide dogs here are quieter and work in smaller towns and villages. My guide dog is a lively girl with lots of energy and my guide dog instructor hasn't said that I can't 'free work' her but don't say that we'll do that either. Hera loves to 'free work' but for another guide dog team it wouldn't work because of the owner and dog's personalities.

Generally in Sweden, blind people learn their routes to school/work, shops and home to their relatives and friends. My low vision therapist never taught me how I should orientate myself in unfamiliar places, my mum taught me this skills instead. What's 'normal' in the United States isn't 'normal' here. A majority of the blind and visually impaired here are seniors so the education is a bit 'old school'. I don't say that I like it or that I agree with it but that's the facts. Over 50% of the blind and visually impaired are disability pensioners here even if we've a higher education then the general population. I don't know what I want to say with this, maybe that different communities work differently.

Kind regards,
Nadja and Hera

Webpage: http://www.nadjaoberg.com