[nagdu] Having a bit of trouble convincing my dog to reverse course

Bryan Jones opensesame at me.com
Sat Oct 13 15:40:41 UTC 2012

Thanks everybody for your feedback and suggestions. It was good to hear that my dog is not the only one who exhibits this behavior, and that folks have had success altering the behavior. I'm adding the "About" command and additional practice to our daily routine and will report back on how things go. Also, I recalled that one of the TSE staff had shared a theory with me a couple years ago when Marqi & I were having trouble adapting to a new suburban walking route. The TSE staff person theorized that, while humans and some dogs are perfectly content to walk in circles -- as one might do when walking for exercise -- other dogs prefer to have some sort of destination. Marqi is definitely a "destination" sort of dog, something I need to keep in mind.

Cheers,
Bryan