[nagdu] Having a bit of trouble convincing my dog toreverse course

mary wurtzel marywurtzel at att.net
Sat Oct 13 10:58:23 UTC 2012

Hello,
The idea of dogs not wanting to walk in a circle caused me to
chuckle.
We had a picket of Good Will in Dearborn, mi recently.
Two other dog teams were there.  FELIX was thinking, "this is
nuts, just walking  in this really small circle back and forth."
We humans get funny ideas!!!
Mary

Users"<nagdu at nfbnet.org
>Date sent: Sat, 13 Oct 2012 11:40:41 -0400
>Subject: Re: [nagdu] Having a bit of trouble convincing my dog
toreverse	course

>Thanks everybody for your feedback and suggestions.  It was good
to hear that my dog is not the only one who exhibits this
behavior, and that folks have had success altering the behavior.
I'm adding the "About" command and additional practice to our
daily routine and will report back on how things go.  Also, I
recalled that one of the TSE staff had shared a theory with me a
couple years ago when Marqi & I were having trouble adapting to a
new suburban walking route.  The TSE staff person theorized that,
while humans and some dogs are perfectly content to walk in
circles -- as one might do when walking for exercise -- other
dogs prefer to have some sort of destination.  Marqi is
definitely a "destination" sort of dog, something I need to keep
in mind.

<marsha.drenth at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Bryan, I really like this command.  As you need this when I am
in a hurry or are looking for something.  Emma would absolutely
pout if we turned around.  I would cheer, praise, whatever it
took, but she did not like it.  I would say do it in the way I
described in my blog.

>> TSE uses the "rest" command.  Although I am so use to this now,
I say it to my new pup, she will it soon too.  I say stay, give
the "about" command, while patting my hip.  I would do the same
but offer treats and praise.  Soon the pup will pick up that you
want to go back the same way you came and associate the "about"
comkmand with that.  Its a customization, just like you do to
teach them to find the chair, or whatever.

>> Maybe I am wrong, but atleast that makes sense to me, in my
mind.  LOL