[nagdu] Attending Training Centers with a Guide

Marion Gwizdala blind411 at verizon.net
Fri Oct 19 11:52:35 UTC 2012

    I am of the conviction that cane travel is the fundamental skill of
orientation & mobility. This is the reason nearly every guide dog training
program requires proficiency in cane travel skills prior to obtaining a
guide dog. The NFB training programs recognize this fact and require all
students to use the cane as their primary O&M tool while at the center.
    I also assert that there are times when a guide dog is not the best
choice for mobility, e.g., going to a concert, visiting a friend's house who
would prefer to not have a dog in it, or in inclement weather. Under these
circumstances, I want to be as independent and mobile as I am with my dog,
so maintaining good cane travel skills is essential.
    i would also like to further comment on my statement about visiting a
friend who would prefer to not have a dog in their house. I am not of the
belief that is held by some that "if they don't want my dog, they don't want
me!" Some have allergies to dogs and some just don't want a dog in their
house. I love my dog and cannot imagine a person who doesn't like dogs;
however, I am separate from my dog and don't feel that it is any reflection
on me if someone prefers to not have a dog in their house. There are also
some gatherings in which children are not welcome. I am not offended when an
invitation is extended to me and not to my children. JMHO!

Fraternally yours,
Marion Gwizdala