[nagdu] Doctors

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Sun Oct 28 16:39:55 UTC 2012

When the ADA changes took place, last year? wasn't there a bit about
dogs needing to be housebroken?  Wasn't that something that was
specifically mentioned as a requirement for public access. I could be
misremembering, but I read some legal guidance thing on that a while ago.

Anyway for public places the dog only needs to be trained to mitigate
the handler's disability.  No proof of training, other than the dog's
behavior, is required.  However if the dog is not behaving appropriate
for working in public the handler can be asked to remove the dog.  IMO
pooping in the elevator is an inappropriate behavior.  Also as I
understand things the dog cannot be permanently banned.  It's behavior
or lack thereof has to be considered on a case by case basis.

Now if you are talking about a housing situation there is a different
set of rules.  In the first message I wasn't sure if this building was a
medical facility or an apartment complex.  In housing situations the
Fair Housing Act applies, not the ADA.  There are some significant
differences.

Julie