[nagdu] Dogs not being allowed in the Latter Day Saint Temples

Jenny Keller jlperdue3 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 4 01:13:34 UTC 2012

Hi all,

I wanted to say something about this subject that most people don't realize, because they aren't familiar with the Temples of the church.

Dogs are welcome in any part of the churches themselves.  so really, there isn't an issue here.

What most people don't know though, is that just being a Mormon by itself does not allow you in the Temple.  There are certain commandments and things that must be upheld, and you are interviewed every two years before you can enter the Temple.  If it is determined that you are not living your covenants that you made at Baptism, and that you renew every Sunday, when you partake of the Sacrament, what most call communion, or the Lord'S supper.  You cannot enter the Temple.

So basically, what I'm saying, and I'm sure that fact will and could be looked upon as, well, whatever anyone wants to say about it, if  person has to go through such strenuous qualifications to enter the Temple, which we consider the most Holy places in the world.  If we're told that they would prefer it if we didn't bring our dogs.  We can either choose to accept that and enter the Temple, or we don't, and continue just to go to the church proper, and have our dogs with us.

I'm not sure what there is as far as legality because I'm not sure that the Temples are considered public places since there are qualifications that must be met to enter.

I have had to fight much more important battles of accessibility with my dog than that, and I also respect a church that has made almost everything else accessible to me, from braille to audio and beyond.  so I guess for me anyway, I can and do respect their decision.

Jenny