[nagdu] First dog concerns

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Wed Sep 5 13:27:09 UTC 2012

Chris,

I had a very close call with a car.  It was only a few inches away.
Monty did maneuver me away at the very last second, but it shook me
badly.  I put on a brave front,got to where I was going and called my
husband so I could have a meltdown.   That helped me get through the
immediate feelings of fear, uncertainty and lack of confidence.

After I finished up with my meeting, I had to walk back across that same
street to get home.  I seriously thought about going a different
direction or asking someone for a ride, but in the end I knew I had to
cross it or I would forever make excuses.

It was one of the most difficult things I have ever done.  I thought I
might pass out somewhere in the middle, but I didn't.  I also realized
that Monty is trustworthy and that sometimes stuff just happens.   That
was a hard, hard realization.

On the first crossing with the close call we both did everything right
and still the driver ran a red light.  She was going very fast and there
was little chance that Monty could have reacted any sooner.    I had to
accept that all I or Monty can do is the best we can do and the rest is
up to fate.

The only way I know to gain confidence in anything is to just do it.  If
that means to have someone along at first as a safety net, do it.  If
that means having a trainer out to get you back on track, do it.  If
that means going out at 4 in the morning when there is no traffic so you
feel more comfortable, do it.   Being a prisoner of fear is a really
awful place to be. I've been there, but there is always a way out.

All my best,
Julie