[nagdu] newspaper practice at TSE was Re: First dog concerns

Vanessa Lowery vlowery at dhr.state.md.us
Fri Sep 7 20:40:44 UTC 2012

Obviously, I am catching this in the middle of the thread, so I don't know how it started, but here is my story.

While in training wiht Griffin, one of the instructors executed a traffic check down the driveway of a home in one of the training vans.  Mr. Griffin, with his bold and confidence self, executed a beautiful traffic check, and I was literally uttering, "Good boy, Griffin," when he suddennly yelped and jumped back.  I saw that he had been nailed wht the traffic wand.  Well, it seems that Mr. Griffin had decided that as long as he was stock still and as long as the van was stock still, he would use that opportunity to take a sniff of the van's bumper.  This *DID NOT* go over at all wiht Dave Johnson, and that is why Griffin got nailed.  Dave growled at Griffin, "You know better than that!!"  I was told to back the dog up to redo the traffic check, the goal being that Griffi and his whole self was not only supposed to make sure that I was a safe distance from the vehicle, but he was also supposed to maintain that same safe distance while refraining from any extra-curicular sniffing.  Let's jsut say that when the traffic check was done again, Griffin stopped, stayed stopped, and kept his nose to himself.  Once I understood why Griffin got his nose bopped, I was fine with it, and all these many ears later, Dave and I still talk about it.

Vanessa Lowery, LGSW
Adult and Community Services Division
Adult Services Screening Unit
410-853-3550
VLowery at dhr.state.md.us

>>> Cindy Ray <cindyray at gmail.com> 9/7/2012 4:25 PM >>>
I had never actually seen this done in the class, but it would be a variation on that wand with the foam thingy or whatever attached to it. The Seeing Eye takes pride in how their dogs deal with traffic, and I am thinking that pride may not be unfounded. I don't know if it is over stated or not. But unless I am going to train my own dog, and unless I am going to give the school an idea that is a breakthrough approach to training, I am going to be happy with the way they do these things. Once when Roger Taylor came to see me to work with me and a dog, she snapped at him and he bonked her on the nose with a newspaper. I'm thinking I would have done the same thing.

CL

On Sep 6, 2012, at 12:21 PM, Marsha Drenth wrote:

> Hmmm guess Emma never needed the newspaper approach. I don't remember anyone in my class saying anything about it either. But my memory could be failing me, that was almost 5 years ago. Personally, I am not against it, whatever makes the dog do what its suppose to in traffic situations then sure!
>

> Marsha drenthSent from my iPhone
>
> On Sep 6, 2012, at 9:44 AM, Buddy Brannan <buddy at brannan.name> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> If we're talking about what I think we're talking about, this isn't a new practice and is used to help reinforce traffic work. That is to say, if the dog gets too close to the moving car, it gets bopped on the nose, out the car window, with a rolled up newspaper (which John Kean called a "logic probe", LOL) Marcia, this is rarely seen in class.
>>
>> In such a situation, a leash correction wouldn't exactly work, nor would it be appropriate.
>> --
>> Buddy Brannan, KB5ELV - Erie, PA
>> Phone: (814) 860-3194 or 888-75-BUDDY
>>

>> On Sep 6, 2012, at 7:11 AM, Marsha Drenth <marsha.drenth at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Jenny,
>>>
>>> Its okay for you to disagree with a school on their practices. It would be interesting to hear what the newspaper thing really is. It must be a new practice, as when I was there that never happened. I am not saying its right or wrong, but perhaps if we know more of how its done and how then maybe it won't sound so bad.
>>>

>>> Marsha drenthSent from my iPhone

http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/nagdu_nfbnet.org/vlowery%40dhr.state.md.us

This Email message and any attachment may contain information that is proprietary, legally privileged and/or confidential. This Email is intended solely for the use of the person(s) to which it is addressed. If you are not an
intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivery of this Email to the intended recipient(s), you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this Email is strictly prohibited. If you have received
this message in error, please immediately notify the sender and permanently delete this Email and any copies.