[nagdu] Question about taking dog to work for the first time

Tonia tonton at insightbb.com
Tue Sep 11 01:20:03 UTC 2012

Hi again!  One more question.  I'll  have what's probably a unique situation
to deal with when I return to work with my new dog; and hoping to get your
advice on the best way to handle it.

I am an assistive tech trainer at our state rehab center and while I'm gone
to TSE in October, our AT department is going to be moved upstairs in to a
new area.  On the positive side, I'll have more space in my new
office/classroom for the dog to have his/her own little corner of the room.
On the down side, I'll be returning to a large room full of furniture
that'll need to be rearranged and lots of boxes that'll need to be unpacked,
computer equipment to be set up etc.

I hate taking the new dog in to a situation that will no doubt be chaos for
several hours while I get organized.  At the same time, I'm not sure it
would be such a good idea for me to leave the dog at home with my husband so
soon after returning home.

It may help to know that I'll be flying home from NJ on a Thursday, plan on
taking off work on Friday and will officially go back to work on Monday.  In
other words, I'm not going back to work the very next day after we come
home.

I do Have coworkers (including one who has a guide dog) who have volunteered
to baby-sit the dog in their office while I get unpacked and all.  Although,
that means the poor dog will not only be in a strange new place but also
away from me and with people he/she doesn't know.

Two other options I've thought of are:

1.        Going in to work for just a few hours on Friday to introduce the
dog to everyone and to the building where we'll be spending a good deal of
our time.  This might allow the dog a chance to begin getting comfortable
with the new surroundings and coworkers; and especially with the coworker
who may watch the dog on Monday, if I go that route.

2.        My husband and I both going in to the office over the weekend,
while no one else is there; and letting hubby and dog play and bond while I
work on unpacking.  That way the dog is hanging out with somebody he/she has
already been getting to know for the past couple days, I'd be a bit more
free to float between unpacking and giving the dog attention, and we
wouldn't have the distraction of students and coworkers constantly stopping
by to meet the new dog.

I guess my biggest concern is not wanting to cause any more stress or
discomfort on my dog, realizing that we'll already be in a crucial
adjustment period; having just returned home and needing to work out all the
typical kinks as a new team.  I wish I had the luxury of taking more time
off work when we get home, or returning to work half days for a few days;
but finances nor my leave balance would allow that.

So, please share any suggestions you might have and tell me what you think
you would do if you were in my situation.

Thanks so much,

Tonia, who'll be so happy when I can call my dog by name (LOL!)