[nagdu] Indoor Behavior - So Confused

Lyn Gwizdak linda.gwizdak at cox.net
Wed Sep 12 16:30:58 UTC 2012

Hi Ava,
Sounds like your family aren't observing - and enforcing - all the rules
pertaining to Cocoa.  It is THEIR fault if they choose to leave a bag of
chips on the floor.  If it is on the floor, it is fair game.

Do you have a yard where you can wear out Cocoa when she isn't working?  I
tired dog will just want to sack out and sleep and not run rampant all over
the house.

I would go back to basics with her.  She'll be with you on leash at all
times when possible.  Otherwise, she'll be on tie down.  Ignore the whining.
Dogs hate to be ignored.  Nice, gentle, quiet praise when she is quiet in
behavior or vocally.  Tell your family that these are the rules and, if they
want a well behaved dog in the home, they MUST comply.  Like a united front
of parents with the children.  And, make sure there's CONSISTANCY at all
times.

Do this for a couple of weeks before starting to wean Cocoa off leash and
tie downs.  Make her EARN her freedom.  As far as begging at the table.
Well, keep her out of the eating area, period.  Not even on leash under the
table.  Your dad can still slip her tidbits - which you want to avoid.  It
has been my experience that once a dog learns to beg sucessfully, you can't
break the habit.  I found out this the hard way as a kid with our pet dog.
In recent history, a friend used to feed another friend's guide dog and that
led to bad behavior in restaurants.  The habit was never broken for the rest
of the dog's life.

So, if yur family wants a well behaved dog in the house, they better follow
YOUR rules for the dog - no exceptions.  Period.  No discussion.

DO make sure that the dog is getting enough food at her mealtimes.  DO make
sure she has ample opportunities for active play and don't rely soley on her
work to exercise.  Run her around in the yard and toss balls to her to run
after.  If she is tired, full, and empty, she'll want to sleep and not get
into trouble.

HTH and good luck.  this is what I would do.  And try to find the source of
the behavior change in the first place.  Make sure she has no health issues.
When your parents try to blame you and your handling, turn it right back on
them and how their behavior is fostering the problems in the first place.

Lyn and Landon