[nagdu] [Fwd: Dusty's Law Advocacy Update & Time to ContactLegislators]

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Fri Sep 14 12:03:24 UTC 2012

Dusty's Law is legislation New Jersey NAGDU is working on with The Seeing
Eye.
You may remember that, a year or two ago, a Seeing Eye puppy being raised
by Roger Woodower was attacked and almost killed by a dog that came
charging out of someone's house.  The puppy is named Dusty.  Roger lost a
finger, trying to protect the puppy. Dusty had to be dropped from becoming
a guide dog, because he became very fearful of other dogs.
The law would create criminal penalties for allowing a dog to attack a
guide dog or guide dog in training.  It would make it possible for the
police to get involved, if there was an attack.
I'm not sure if the law covers interference too, or just attacks.
Tracy