[nagdu] Counting the costs

Elizabeth Rene emrene at earthlink.net
Tue Sep 18 18:55:02 UTC 2012

One thing to consider in determining the cost of a guide dog and budgeting
for its care is the possibility of unexpected veterinary bills.  Dogs can
get sick or injured, no matter how well they're cared for, and some
provision should be made for emergencies.

Some dogs, too, have unexpected long-term needs, such as allergy care or
dentistry.  My current guide, for example, builds tartar on his teeth more
readily than my former dogs did, and needs his teeth cleaned professionally
about every six months (tooth brushing alone isn't enough for him).

Pet insurance might be a good investment if your school doesn't cover
on-going or extraordinary veterinary costs.

Otherwise, in choosing a guide dog school, it might be useful to consider
what veterinary costs the school will cover as part of any program of
ongoing service to you and your new guide.  Starting out with a first dog
from a school that provides extensive support services and needed veterinary
care might add a lot to your peace of mind.  You can always pay the vet
yourself when you can afford to, no matter what the school will do in a
pinch.

Elizabeth