[nagdu] Considering A Dog

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Thu Sep 20 17:33:10 UTC 2012

Yes, TSE takes breed preference into account.  If you say nothing but a
shepherd will suit, then a shepherd you will get, though you may have to
wait longer than you would otherwise.  Sometimes there are lots of
shepherds coming into class, and sometimes not so many.
I've taught all 6 of my dogs the find command.  Some of them are better at
it than others, but they all got it pretty easily.
This very morning, I told Ben to find the stairs down into the bus
terminal, which he does all the time.  Today, he apparently saw that the
stairs were blocked, and took me around to the escalator instead.  He's so
smart!
Recently, the Port Authority changed the gate my bus home leaves from, so
I am teaching Ben to find the new gate.  It's taking some time, because
it's in a long line of similar things, but he's doing very well.  Which is
just to say that the things you want the dog to find may change from time
to time, so it's good to know how to teach new things.

Kody, I'd put a lot more emphasis on a dog's skill in dodging traffic and
dealing with crowds, living in NYC, than I would on the find command.  I
think that TSE has some of the best traffic training you'll find anywhere.
 Ben has saved me many times from some idiot driver flying around a corner
without looking.  TSE also has some "city dogs"--dogs who thrive on the
craziness that is New York.  They tend to have a lot of chutzpah, and can
be demanding to handle, but they have the confidence and initiative to
deal with NYC.
When we were working in Morristown, Ben was an OK worker.  The first day
we came into NYC, he became much more focussed.  His tail went up, and he
seemed to be saying "At last, a real challenge!"  That day, president Bush
happened to be in town, right by where we were working, so there were huge
crowds milling around, turfed out of their offices by the Secret Service.
Ben was brilliant! and I saw that he really was the dog for me.
Fidelco also has city dogs.  Other places do too, but I think they're more
common at TSE, Fidelco, and GEB, and, so far as I know, GEB only has labs.
Tracy