[nagdu] Distractions update

Sheri Anderson sheri.k.anderson at gmail.com
Fri Sep 21 13:53:32 UTC 2012

To all who gave me wonderful advice about doggy distractions, thank you.

Just a quick update. Yesterday I left work early to learn a new route
in the city I live in, not work in.

The route was pleasant and finishing up by returning to the car, my
guide dog and I happened upon several ladies walking their dogs. I
began to use obedience, (sit, down, sit, etc) and it worked
fabulously. My guide dog did continue to watch the other dogs and
whimper a little, but she did not stop working. I will also add that
the owners of the other dogs were amazing as well. They stopped what
they were doing, and allowed me to work. So my guide dog got a lot of
practice in a mutually respectful environment.

Again, thanks to everyone for your suggestions. I am happy to know
there is a resource such as we are able to give one another. Hopefully
I will be able to pay it forward very soon.

Warmly,
Sheri