[nagdu] Re : To the owner on the list

Robert Hooper hooper.90 at buckeyemail.osu.edu
Tue Sep 25 14:45:52 UTC 2012

Hello:

First, let me dispel any alarm you may have had. When I wrote "attack" and "bring cold beer from fridge", I was merely demonstrating humor--yes, I know, JAWS/other screen readers are notorious for their lack of such, so I apologize. I would never train a service dog any attack commands (and I think the beer thing would be somewhat difficult, seeing as my fridge has no handle, and I don't drink beer that often). So, with that out of the way...
My reasons for choosing a king are varied--from practicality to philosophy. First, I need a dog that stands taller at the withers than Bailey (who stands almost 26 inches at the withers). I find that, even with a longer-handled harness, I am having to lift it too far off his back, and it can be mildly uncomfortable, and somewhat impractical should he need to stop suddenly. I am somewhat tall, and would need to lean over slightly to the left to keep the harness close to Bailey's back.
Another reason is health. I don't know how much you know of the king shepherd, so forgive me if I am a bit of a broken record in your head. One of the reasons for the creation of the breed is the health of the German shepherd breed. I, like many others, am becoming disillusioned of the German shepherd--they are wonderful dogs, but finding a breeder who can breed them well (without sloping back, eventual blindness, inevitable joint problems, even deafness) is like searching for the proverbial needle in the proverbial safety pin stack. I don't have a large intestine that converts food waste into currency, so I don't want to go through 611 German shepherds to find the right one. Of course, TSE seems to have excellent shepherds, but I'm not likely to get one from them if I wish to owner train. A king shepherd is a larger, health-problem-free version of the German shepherd. Early in the life of the breed (German shepherds), there was much inbreeding that is responsible for many of the issues we see today. Also, people are not trying to breed for the traits that made the original shepherd so great--they are breeding for show, and at the sacrifice of many good characteristics. So, the King shepherd called out to me as a suitable candidate. I considered many other breeds (Akita, Czechoslovakian Wolfdog, Anatolian shepherd, Irish Wolfhound, Rottweiler), but the king shepherd is closest to the German shepherd that I love so much.
Oh, and regarding the issue of lifespan, they are supposed to have a lifespan of 10-11 years, whereas the German shepherd is 9.3 years. I hope this answers your questions--feel free to keep them coming.
Sincerely,
Robert Hooper
Hooper.90 at buckeyemail.osu.edu
The Ohio State University, Department of Psychology; Department of Neuroscience
572 Stinchcomb Drive #3
Columbus, Ohio 43202
(740) 856-8195