[nagdu] A cane user interested in a dog guide

Kody Keplinger kodytheduff at gmail.com
Thu Apr 11 14:38:07 UTC 2013

Hi Anjelina!

I went through the same decision back in the Fall and just started working
with my guide dog a few weeks ago.

I pulled up information on all of the schools and even called a few of them
to ask about time lines (how long does the application process take? how
long after I'm accepted will I get started with a dog? etc etc).  In the
end, what really narrowed down my decision was breed. I knew I wanted a
German shepherd for my first guide dog.  That narrowed down the schools. In
the end, I narrowed it down to The Seeing Eye and Fidelco, who both breed
their own shepherds and train a good amount of them (Fidelco only does
shepherds, The Seeing Eye does mostly labs but also does shepherds).  i
applied to both, but I ultimately chose Fidelco because I like that they do
home training and that was better for my lifestyle/schedule.

My advice would be to research all of the schools, find the ones that
appeal most to you, make a few phone calls, and then decide which to apply
to.

--
*Kody Keplinger*
http://kodykeplinger.com

author of:
*THE DUFF (Designated Ugly Fat Friend) - an ALA Top Ten Quick Pick for
Reluctant Young Readers.*
*AVAILABLE NOW!*
*
*