[nagdu] A cane user interested in a dog guide

Lyn Gwizdak linda.gwizdak at cox.net
Thu Apr 11 17:49:15 UTC 2013

Hi Anjelina,
Welcome!  I've been a guide dog user since 1973 and currently am working a
seven year old male Lab/Golden cross named Landon.  He's from The Seeing
Eye.

Although I've been to several different schools, I find TSE the best for me.
I've known TSE graduates since 1971 and I read the book, Love In The Lead by
Peter Putnam (second edition 1992) - a Seeing Eye graduate.  This book tells
the history of guide dog use in the U.S. and the history of TSE and its
culture and attitudes towards the blind.

Although I think TSE is the best for me, the people on this list have dogs
from a variety of schools which they really like and they love their dogs as
much as I do mine.  A good overview of the schools is in a book called A
Guide to Guide Dog Schools by Toni and Ed Eames which was written in the
1990s.  Some stuff has changed but enouogh is still the same today and is a
great help to those considering guide dog use.  I like TSE best because I
feel their attitudes towards blind folks is the best.  It was founded by a
blind guy.  The dogs are well trained, they have no school contract, and you
own the dog outright upon graduation.

Do you know other guide dog users in your area?  This is the best resource!
Hang around with them and that gives you a chance to see the reality of
guide dog use and how people fit themselves into the guide dog lifestyle.
It is different from the white cane lifestyle. Also, you can pick the brains
of us here on the list!  We are first time users, very long time users and
everything in between.  We vary in our living arrangements, types of
environments - city, country.  We are young and just out of high school or
college, some are older with families.

After you do these things, then you think about if the guide dog lifestyle
is for you.  Knowing nothing about you, it is ultimately your decision as to
how a guide dog will fit your own situation and life.  If, after
investigating everything guide dog, then  you can make up your mind.  Don't
let anyone try to push you into getting a dog or deterring you from getting
one.  YOU DECIDE!  Be VERY honest with yourself.  Having a guide dog in your
life is a big commitment.  Do you currently or have you owned pets in the
past?

I am now 62 years old and Landon's is my eighth guide.  We live in San Diego
and we are certified to do pet assisted therapy with our local Humane
Society.  I am active in political groups and also enjoy doing crafts.  We
have a busy life!

Take care and good luck in deciding if a guide dog is for you.

Lyn and Landon
"Asking who's the man and who's the woman in an LGBT relationship is like
asking which chopstick is the fork" - Unknown