[nagdu] A cane user interested in a dog guide

Marsha Drenth marsha.drenth at gmail.com
Fri Apr 12 00:29:52 UTC 2013

Hi Angie,

Welcome to our list. its awesome to see your considering a guide dog.

Lots of things going into a persons choice for a school. Many of the listers have given you some things to think about. I know your a mom, so this might be a concern. Not necessary how will your child do with the dog, or how the dog will interact with your child, but how much time can you take away for training for the dog. Some schools will do in home training, others have reduced class times. The best thing of all is that you live in PA, so there are some really great schools just right here in our back yard. the Seeing Eye, Guide Dog Foundation, Guiding Eyes, Fidelco. You could also go across to GDB.

The best thing also is that PA is also in the mist of forming a PAGDU division. So you will get lots of help, advice, suggestions, guidance from persons who live right here in your same state. There are about 15 guide dog users that I know of, with pup from all different schools. There was another person who recently received her dog from a school, who has sought our guidance before. I know our group would love to help in your research in any way possible. i'll let you know about our next conference call, no obligation to do anything but ask questions if you like.

Your welcome to email me offlist, I'd like to hear from you anyways.

Marsha drenth, NAGDU List moderator
Sent with my IPhone