[nagdu] First Flight with New Dog

Michael Hingson info at michaelhingson.com
Sat Apr 13 18:48:34 UTC 2013

Hi,

I fly very often and have flown on most airlines.  Personally, I do not tell
the airlines that I will be traveling with a guide dog as many airline
people love to make up rules about what I can and cannot do.

The biggest misconception is that we must fly in the bulkhead row.  There
are ABSOLUTELY NO REGULATIONS which require this.  It is my choice, but I
believe the bulkhead row is the worst place for most dogs.  If there are
turbulents or some other condition that causes the airplane to bounce a lot
there is nothing above the dog in the bulkhead row that will restrain or
secure your guide.  It does take a bit of work to teach a guide to go under
a non-bulkhead seat, but the time is worth it to protect the dog and you.
Africa knows to back into our designated row and go under the seat in front
of me just as if I were putting a case under that seat.  Again, schools do
not teach this so it takes a bit of work on your part, but I think it is
worth it.  Since you have a new guide this is the time to begin teaching.
You must have the confidence and must encourage your dog to do something he
or she is not use to doing, but your dog will learn.  I have seen 100 pound
dogs go under non-bulkhead rows.  Some choose bulkhead rows  while others do
not.  Again, the choice is yours.

As far as taking your dog to relieve at the airport, as Julie said, don't
give your dog water the day you travel.  You might also give less water the
night before.  Also, some people find it best not to feed their dogs the day
of travel thus making it less likely that the dog will need to relieve
during the flight or for a few hours after the flight is over.  I have flown
with Africa to places like Japan and the Netherlands, and I took Roselle to
New Zealand, Korea, and Ireland – all without any relieving problems.  It's
all in your preparation.  Flying is not what you normally do, so it is
reasonable to expect that you might need to change your normal dog routine a
bit to prepare.

I hope this helps.  Feel free to call me if you want to talk further.  I can
be reached today at (415) 827-4084.

Best,

Michael Hingson

Vice President, NAGDU

The Michael Hingson Group, INC.
"Speaking with Vision"
Michael Hingson, President
(415) 827-4084
info at michaelhingson.com
To order Michael Hingson's new book, Thunder Dog, and check on Michael
Hingson's speaking availability for your next event please visit:
www.michaelhingson.com

To purchase your own portrait of Roselle painted by the world's foremost
animal artist, Ron Burns, please visit http://www.ronburns.com/roselle