[nagdu] to Ken about RE: the life of a guide dog

Kody kodytheduff at gmail.com
Fri Apr 19 02:50:41 UTC 2013

This thread is really interesting to me, I muzt admit! Ken, loved that math.

I'm also an author, so my life is sedentary for the most part. However, I live in NYC, so there's never a shortage of things to do when I need to get up and get moving.

Most days, Corey and I spend the majority of our time in the apartment. I'm working while she either sleeps or plays with a toy. We make pretty regular trips to the grocery or post office, things in the neighborhood, even on slow days.  If the trip is too short, Corey gets REALLY slow when we return to my street.

But then we have other days that are super busy.  I just got back from Portland. We flew out Tuesday evening (5 1/2 hour flight) and flew back this morning.  Corey LOVES new places - they get her excited - so she was really happy working yesterday. But when we got home today she went straight for the couch and slept for hours. She was glad to be back (as was I).

I told the people at Fidelco that my career meant my daily schedule was inconsistant. Some days I might not leave the house to do anything except go grab coffee from the Starbucks accross the street. Other days I leave at nine in the morning and don't get back until midnight. And that's not even counting when I travel.  They matched me with a dog that isn't keen on routine so she's fine with a fluctuating schedule, which makes me feel a little less guilty when i have a lazy day or when I work her all day - she's fine either way. The only thing she hates is when I take her out (in harness) and only worker her to some place a block or two away and then we come back home - she slows down and it's clear she's thinking, "But we just left!!!"

Wow, this post is long. Sorry about that.  Anyway, my point is, the dogs deal with it, and they don't forget how to work (like Eve said) as long as you keep the training consistant.

Sent from my iPad