[nagdu] the life of a guide dog

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Fri Apr 19 12:27:07 UTC 2013

Hi Daniel.
I wouldn't worry about the dog having a week-long break.  Stuff happens.
More than once, I've been sick or recovering from surgery and the dog has
had a week or two off, with no ill effects, except maybe being a bit
distractable when we got back to work.

What does my dog do all day?
I work.  I go in to the City 2 days a week, usually, and work the rest from
home.  Ben comes with me to work, and lies under my desk, when I don't need
him to go somewhere.  He loves his cave under the desk; it's sometimes hard
to get him to come out.  Other dogs of mine have wanted to lie in my cubicle
where they could look out and see the passing world, but Ben wants to be in
his den.
I try to walk across town after work, which is a long way, to get both of us
some exercise.  Or sometimes I get off the bus early in my town, and walk
from there.
Most days when I don't go out to work, I go somewhere else, like the gym,
the grocery store, or just for a walk.  I have a desk job; I need to get up
and move as much as the dog does.  If I walk down to the gym, I often walk
back a different way, to make it more interesting for both of us.
I've had some trouble getting out this winter; neither of us likes going out
in the rain much.  Ben doesn't seem to mind having the occasional day off.
Oh, you wanted to know when does he play.  Ben is not very playful.  He
likes to go out in the yard for a good sniff for recreation.  He will chase
a toy sometimes, but not every day.  His big playtime is when he's being
groomed.  When he sees me pick up his brushes, he races over and grabs a
bone, and makes me hold it for him to chew while he's being brushed.  If for
some reason he can't find a bone, he goes round in circles for a bit, until
he's ready to stand still and be brushed.  He pretends to be very serious,
but inside he's a silly boy.

I used to go into work every day, which was quite a schlep.  My dogs dealt
with it.  They had more energy than Ben.  I think TSE gave me Ben because of
my current lifestyle, which he fits well.  He has good energy for 2 or 3
days, then he wants a break.  He's the most low-energy dog I've had.

Tracy