[nagdu] petting dogs in harness

Lyn Gwizdak linda.gwizdak at cox.net
Sun Apr 21 17:05:27 UTC 2013

Hi all,
I changed the subject line for this thread.  I don't think people petting a
guide dog in harness is a fast and hard rule.  the schools recommend that
you don't allow it - especially with a new dog.  People and dogs differ.
Some dogs are too people orientated and get too distracted if they get
petted by others.  If you have a dog like this, then you probably shouldn't
allow the dog to be petted by other folks.  Some people never let another
person to interact with their dog - in or out of harness.  Others allow it
when the dog isn't walking with them.

Landon does pet assisted therapy in which I take the harness off.
Personally, I let people pet Landon ONLY IF we are standing still and
chatting.  He has the ability to go right back into work mode as soon as I
pick up the handle.  He likes people but will ignore the "drive by" petting
that occassionaly happens while we are out and about.  This is me and him so
I personally don't think it should be a blanket rule.  People should always
ask permission before they pet a working dog - well ANY dog for that matter.

What I do is to correct my dogs if they get distracted by the "drive bys"
and treat it just like any other distraction that I have no control over.  I
do find that not as many people do it as much as years ago.  At least around
here people seem to have some idea as to what a service dog is and that they
aren't to be bothered while working.

It boils down to you knowing your dog and your particular areas and
circumstances to determine what you personally want to do in regards to
allowing interaction with your dog.

Lyn and Landon
"Asking who's the man and who's the woman in an LGBT relationship is like
asking which chopstick is the fork" - Unknown