[nagdu] walking in sidewalkless areas

Tami Jarvis tami at poodlemutt.com
Tue Apr 30 21:08:57 UTC 2013

Sarah,

We do sidewalkless areas sometimes. I've trained Mitzi for hiking, but
that's different somehow than doing routes to in-town places without
sidewalks.

She slows down some, too, depending on what the ground is like and
apparently how safe she thinks the route is. If it's a nice, wide grassy
area without a lot of humps in the ground or obstacles, for instance,
she moves right along. But if things are trickier, then she has to slow
down and watch my feet and work harder to find good ways through uneven
ground or past obstacles or overhangs. On some of these types of routes,
she will speed up as they become more familiar so that we've learned to
walk them at speed. There have been a couple that just were no good. We
tried to avoid them, but took them a few times. We both ended up pretty
tired and cranky.

Around here, most of our routes do have sidewalks. But you've reminded
me that I should get out on some alternate routes to practice them since
they don't have sidewalks.

Good luck!

Tami