[nagdu] blazing trails with tails.

Tami Jarvis tami at poodlemutt.com
Thu Aug 1 20:44:24 UTC 2013

Leye-Shprintse,

That does suck! Does that then affect how guide dog users are trained?
Do you know why independent O&M isn't taught in your country? I mean, is
it a matter of funding/resources, or is it more how blindness and blind
people are viewed?

Here access to O&M training can depend on your state or even where in it
you live, as can the quality. Most people, though, can count on
independent travel training of some sort. I actually ended up pretty
much training myself, and I know others who have taken that approach. We
may get bits and pieces here and there, but would rather go for it than
wait around in case somebody comes along to do it for us. Sigh.

I'm not recommending that approach! It's dangerous going out to learn to
be safe, you know. /smile/ I have progressive vision loss so I did have
some vision to use even though I needed the cane for safe travel by
then. I still had to be super careful and really think my way through
things like figuring out how to know when to cross the street, stuff
like that. I would hate to go through the beginner phases with no sight
at all, especially when it comes to traffic. I can now travel safely in
those times I have no vision; sometimes more safely than when I can see
some since that's when I forget not to pay attention to what I see and
screw myself up. /smile/

Tami