[nagdu] Fake service dog gear creates problems for Americans withdisabilities

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Fri Aug 9 14:45:30 UTC 2013

You know, it's not the gear that's fake and it's not the dogs that are fake.
It's the people who are faking a disability.  Why is the focus in these
stories always on the dogs and the gear?  The dog isn't the problem, the
people are.  The dog's don't decide to put on a vest, go in the grocery and
act a mess.  It's the people taking the dog that need to be held
responsible.

And if the dog is well behaved why is it a problem?  Perhaps the person has
a disability that isn't readily apparent.  If the dog is behaved, it isn't
any of my business what type of service the dog provides.  Sure there are
going to be a few, a very small few, people who don't have disabilities who
take the time to train their dogs appropriately to be in public.  Mostly
though, it's obvious that the dog isn't trained.  That's what needs to be
used as an indicator for removal.  Honestly it doesn't matter to me if the
person has a dog from a program, owner trained or a well behaved pet, if
it's not creating a bother to me, then it's simply not a problem.  To me the
problem is the ill behaved dogs no matter where they came from.  People need
to be responsible for the behavior of their dogs in public.

Perhaps if there were legal penalties for your dog disturbing the peace  in
public, people would think twice about parading their ill behaved pets in
public. The owners would be held responsible for their actions and that is
how I see the situation being resolved without infringing on the rights of
people with disabilities.

Anyway that's how I see the issue,
Julie