[nagdu] Number of DOGS!

Buddy Brannan buddy at brannan.name
Sat Aug 17 22:35:45 UTC 2013

So, I’m really not sure why schools are still setting expectations for an average working life of 8-10 years. If you ere told to expect 10 years, while this may be something your dog can deliver, I’d say that in general, this isn’t, on average, very realistic. My experience, and informal observations as long as I’ve been a guide dog owner, tells me that 6-8 years is more realistic. While I think 8-10 years may well have been the norm in days past, a combination of generally softer dogs, plus faster, more hectic and stressful working conditions, quieter and faster traffic, all contribute to on average shorter working careers. Both of my previous dogs each worked roughly 6 and a half years each, and I felt privileged and pleased to have gotten that amount of service from them. So, just saying, if you get fewer than 10 years, don’t by any means feel cheated.
--
Buddy Brannan, KB5ELV - Erie, PA
Phone: (814) 860-3194 or 888-75-BUDDY