[nagdu] Number of DOGS!

Tami Jarvis tami at poodlemutt.com
Sat Aug 17 23:20:14 UTC 2013

Ken,

I'm on my first guide, and I know *exactly* how you feel! I got her when
she was 7 months and ended up training her to be a guide dog because she
had "the right stuff." So I got to spend an awfully long time wondering
if she was every going to grow up enough to really take on the job...
Then I noticed she had and have been worrying she is getting old ever
since... That can't happen! The good thing is that it reminds me to
appreciate her every day and savor our time together. From knowing all
these long-time guide dog users, I've come to understand that a real
"heart dog" is not necessarily the norm.

She's been working since she was 2 and turned 7 this summer, so I am
figuring on another 2 to 3 years of her working life. Poodles seem to
have longer life spans than other large breeds, so I'm planning around
an 8 to 10 year working life for her, with a nice long retirement when
she's ready. I want to owner-train again, and it's weird somehow to
think about a "replacement for Mitzi." How can she need a replacement
since she will never grow old?

I am a silly sap! And, like you, I feel privileged to have the time with
a dog that works so well and that I can love so much.

Tami