[nagdu] What is "disruptive" to a business?

Tami Jarvis tami at poodlemutt.com
Sun Aug 18 15:38:42 UTC 2013

Jenine,

Oh, guilty here. Of the finger grooming, not the rest! With my poodle,
I"m not spreading fur, but I do need to be careful about what her hair
picks up so I don't end up making a pile of the great outdoors. When we
walk a distance -- or especially if we take transit -- I need to
remember to give her a thorough brush off and pat down before we walk in
a door. Mostly, when I'm petting her absent-mindedly, I fondle her top
knot and ears, so those are pretty safe from debris collection. /smile/

I'll start with my conclusions: I do think in this case the restaurant
could legally ask the dog to leave and not come back. I also think there
is a middle ground where the manager (or whoever) could attempt a
friendly approach to explain the problems to the handler and ask for
better manners. I'm not going to say "should," since the dog handling is
not their responsibility. It would be a darned awkward conversation, and
it could go horribly wrong in a legal way. Just as easy to ban the dog
and be done with it.

Now here's my take on the scenario and my reasons for believing the
disruption is significant:

Okay, I'm a decent, responsible restaurant owner now, and I want to
follow the law and do what is right. Only now I have to deal with the
service dog team you just described. Drat! What should I do? That's a
toughie.

Assuming I am a reasonable intelligent restaurant owner, I probably
ought to get some video of the behavior I believe to be disruptive to my
business in case things turn into a big round of "he said, she said."
Pictures of the water on the floor of the aisle would be a really good
idea, too! That's a safety concern that I *really* have to worry about.
I have to follow regulations about that, I have health codes that may
come into play, and I sure do not want my workers' comp rates to go up,
nor my liability insurance because of a slip and fall. Boy howdy, I do
not want that!

My restaurant is not a dog park or a petting zoo. People come here to
relax and eat a good meal and enjoy themselves. Not all of them enjoy
having a dog there in the first place, and they don't want to have it in
the middle of everything, and they don't want to have to hear all the
cooing over it as the center piece of their dining experience. I want
them to come back again so I can stay in business. They probably don't
want to come back again and won't. The customer with the dog that is
causing this disruption is not making up for business I am probably losing.

This is disruptive and possibly expensive.

Tami