[nagdu] Are we in search of a solution without a problem?

L Gwizdak leg1950 at cox.net
Sun Aug 18 16:23:54 UTC 2013

The answer is right in front of us - no banning anything and no legislation.
SIMPLE EDUCATION OF BUSINESSES!

A friend of mine is trying to start a new NFB chapter here in San Diego
targeted at young people and students.  We have several colleges and most
probably has a blind person or so. One of the things my friend and I
discussed is the EDUCATION of buasinesses with the problem of unruly dogs in
businesses and what the ADA really tells us.  One of the things existing NFB
or NAGDU chapters can do RIGHT NOW is to contact their local Chambers of
Commerce and/or local Business Associations to set up a speaking engagement
to talk about this issue.  They all have a monthly or weekly business
meeting.  Also, your local Lions clubs or other service orgs that are filled
with business owners and others from the business community.

If we can get business owners educated, they can turn around and educate
their employees.  I think this is really the way to go in solving our access
problems that may or may not be caused by people bringing in pets.

Banning the sale of gear isn't going to solve anything any more than breed
bans have solved the issue of the rate of dog bites in a community.

AS to the prevalence of the problem, wwell it may vary from place to place.
Personally, I've had some problems with unruly dogs being in places that ban
pets and the dogs are passed off as service dogs.  With invisible
disabilities, one really never knows if the dog is a real or fake service
dog.  there's no way to know and folks just have to take it for granted that
the person really has some kind of disability.  The real problem: DOG
BEHAVIOR.

Lyn and Landon
"Asking who's the man and who's the woman in an LGBT relationship is like
asking which chopstick is the fork" - Unknown