[nagdu] What is "disruptive" to a business?

Ginger Kutsch GingerKutsch at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 19 14:43:41 UTC 2013

Julie and all,

I would argue that in the case described, it was not the dog that was being
disruptive, but rather the handler. I think the actual question is, how
would the restaurant owner handle a comparable situation that did not
involve a service animal?

I would expect the restaurant owner to handle the problem in the same way it
might handle a parent who allowed his/her child to sit in the aisle and play
with a glass of water, or allowed a child to run around in the aisle, or
allowed a child to shred a placemat or napkin or bags of sugar or whatever.
If the owner asked the parent to keep the child under control, and the
parent disregarded the request, would the owner demand that the family leave
and never come back? If the answer is yes, than I think it is appropriate
for the owner to ask the handler to leave. If the owner allows children to
be "disruptive", than it could be argued that the restaurant owner
discriminated against the handler if the handler was held to a higher
standard of behavior than anyone else in the restaurant.

Best,
Ginger