[nagdu] I'm going on a food strike!

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Mon Aug 19 17:23:38 UTC 2013

Hi Dan.
Iams is recalling several kinds of food because of possible salmonella
contamination, and one of the symptoms of salmonella in dogs is loss of
appetite.  Please check your bag against the Iams website, and make sure
yours is not being recalled.
Is this recent, or has she always been picky? I think you just came home
with her, and that kind of transition can put some dogs off their feed for
a bit.
Is she a shepherd?  My shepherd didn't eat well all the time I had him.
It was a symptom of his general anxiousness, which led to his early
retirement, though I think many shepherds are just picky without being
anxious.
I think you're unwise to coax her to eat.  Just put it down and walk away.
 I've heard that coaxing and feeding by hand just encourages finickiness.

I'm feeding Canidae for All Life Stages.  I like it because it has
human-food-quality ingredients, and my last 2 dogs have done well on it.
A friend has had good success with a raw diet for her shepherds, or,
failing that, something as close to raw as one can get without the raw
hassles.  Shepherds tend to have digestive issues, to go with pickiness.
HTH.
Tracy and Benny the lab, who enjoys a wide variety of foods