[nagdu] Find the stairs

Shanna Stichler slstich at gmail.com
Fri Aug 23 21:23:37 UTC 2013

Hi Minh,

You could just start completely over with stairs, similar to teaching
how to find a chair. It sounds like she hasn't really generalized the
idea of finding all kinds of stairs, in different areas, etc. I don't
recall my GDB dogs really understanding that either until they'd worked
on finding stairs with me on a regular basis. If your dog tries to show
you stairs you don't really want, it's fine to just tell her "hop up"
and not reward for that particular flight with kibble. I just verbally
praise my dogs when they start to turn their heads or pull me towards a
light pole, a doorway, or flight of stairs, and then encourage them to
keep going. They eventually figure out which places I really like, as
those are the ones they get the best rewards.

Or, you can just pattern her to find specific flights of stairs only, if
you'd prefer. I'm one who would rather have a dog show me too much than
not enough, but teaching a dog specific routes can be useful, especially
on a college campus.

Hope this helps,
Shanna and Diamond