[nagdu] Service dogs who were pets

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Fri Aug 30 14:53:55 UTC 2013

I've been thinking about what Ann said about expectations.  I bet many
people who have trained a pet to be a service dog still think of it first as
a pet, if only subconsciously.  There's Fluffy, begging at the table, saying
Hi to everyone he meets, and then Joe Q discovers Fluffy can do this great
extra thing, like detect low blood sugar or anxiety, and alert him to it, so
Joe Q trains Fluffy to enhance that ability, but doesn't do any other
training, or change how he thinks about Fluffy, except to appreciate his new
skill.  On the other hand, most of us, from the first, think of our dogs as
service dogs first, and pets second.  From the beginning, everything we do
is with service in mind, and thus we expect a different standard of
behavior.  Everything that's done has to be evaluated as to how it will
affect the dog's work. For instance, I'm sure Jetta is not being allowed to
beg at the table, because that is not acceptable guide dog behavior.
So, as Ann said, people who've trained pets as service dogs have to be made
more aware of acceptable service dog behavior, which, IMO, requires a change
of mindset.  I'm not sure how that could be done, though.  I wonder if an
organization like IAADP could be helpful, having as members many kinds of
assistance dog partners.
Tracy