[nagdu] 7th anniversary

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Fri Aug 30 18:09:30 UTC 2013

Next week marks 7 years of Benitude!  7 years ago this weekend, I worked
Echo over to the diner for a nice breakfast, came home, hung up her harness
for the last time, and took off for The Seeing Eye during a tropical
rainstorm that ended up knocking down trees and wires at home.  Jim Kuch had
just started as TSE president.  I think his first official duty was to
welcome my class. That was quite a class.  2 guys were sent home in disgrace
for failing to act like civilized adults.  1 dog decided the guide dog gig
wasn't for him, and showed it by starting a dogfight, and, next day, walking
up to the edge of a subway platform and looking over the edge.  It was the
most eventful class I've had since my first class at GDB, where one guy was
a psycho and physically attacked another guy for turning down the radio.  I
sure hope my next class isn't quite so full of drama.
Ben and I took a long time to become a good working team, about 2 years.
And now we're in that sweet spot, where we know each other very well and
work together as a real team.  Older dogs are the best.  The trouble is, it
doesn't last as long as I'd like.  Here is where I envy a horse guide's
longevity.
I'm not telling him, but Ben has totally earned his pension with full
benefits.  He's entitled to spend his days lying on his back on the bed, if
he wants, but I hope he will want to give me another year before retiring to
the lazy life.
Here's to you, my handsome boy!
Tracy