[nagdu] Meetings between dogs

Tami Jarvis tami at poodlemutt.com
Fri Aug 30 20:38:50 UTC 2013

Another etiquette question! I've changed from the focus being on the
dog's behavior to it being the handler's management of the dog and way
of going in public with the dog. What I seem to be working toward is an
etiquette guide aimed towards handlers, with a separate educational
approach that might work to help out businesses, et al.

So with the focus on the handler, I'm wanting to include a "what to do
when..." section. You know, when your perfect, genetically-engineered
dog with its hundreds or thousands of hours of training has a doggy
moment. Some are obvious, and have been discussed recently. If your dog
has an accident, take responsibility. That sort of thing.

Is there any kind of established protocol for random meetings with other
service dog handlers? I'm thinking of situations where interaction is
inevitable, like the bus stop or an event where you're both moving
around the same area. This can go really gracefully, of course, and
should. The handlers respect each other and each manages his/her own dog
and there's no big. Some people allow their dogs to greet and find it
helps, but others don't. If the handlers are respectful of each other,
whether to allow the dogs a brief greeting can be managed by asking and
respecting each other's wishes.

Then there are those times... I've seen seven kinds of just plain rude,
when the dogs are doing as they should. Ultimately, it adds up to
disrespect, I guess.

So what are some tricky situations y'all have been in or seen? How did
you handle them? Or how do you think they should have been handled?

Also, what if you see another handler maybe struggling a little with
their dog and think you have something helpful to offer them in the way
of advice? I've had people do this for me in a really great way. I've
experienced and observed the really rude and not even slightly helpful
way. And is there some way to know when to offer to help and when
absolutely not? I know my own rules of thumb, but am curious what others
think.

Thanks!

Tami