[nagdu] Dog problems

Raven Tolliver ravend729 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 8 14:22:07 UTC 2013

I agree with Steph.
And if the only way you can get the dog to come to you is with treats,
this method might not last long either. Frankly, you have scared this
dog.
Before I got a guide dog, the first thing a seasoned guide dog handler
advised me to do was never, ever, ever, ever yell at my dog. The
school even told us not to. Dogs perceive yelling as you barking at
them, and depending on the situation, they will perceive your barking
as aggressive. This is how O'Malley has perceived this behavior,
especially paired with the stern talking and corrections.
Also, when is it exactly that you give him corrections? Do you correct
him when he finally comes to you? Or, do you go up to him and correct
him? Would you yourself want to obey and play/spend time with someone
you felt was aggressive toward you?
How do you do a correction on this dog with no leash? Do you go up to
him and just hold his collar tight for a few seconds? Do you drag him
toward you? Or, do you yank on the live ring of O'Malley's collar?
No matter what the answers to these questions are, the primary
solution is to stop. Stop it because it's not working, and it's not
making the situation better. Give this dog time, and if he decides to
approach you without any commanding or coaxing, make sure your
boyfriend praises him. Your boyfriend is his leader, and he must give
O'Malley the assurance that you are okay. Or, start approaching
O'Malley with gentleness. Verbal corrections do not have to be yelled,
or even spoken sternly most of the time. When you approach O'Malley
and he is not reactive, your boyfriend should praise or treat him.
Again, your boyfriend must be the one giving the rewards because he is
the leader who must provide assurance.
I myself have a good friend who my dog did not like. My golden
displayed very anxious behaviors around her, but she loves, loves,
loves my dog. However, I chose to not take my dog into her apartment.
If he did not want to be there, I wouldn't force him since it was
something that upset him. I improved this by rewarding him for
following me inside, or even approaching her alongside me. If he
followed me inside, I praised him up and tried to make this one act
seem as though it was the best thing in the world. And you know what,
it worked. My dog is gaining the appreciation I have for my friend.
Essentially, this is what your boyfriend needs to do.
Next, some dogs will not listen to other people reliably, or at all.
My golden is very loyal to me and will obey me from across the room.
However, he does not reliably listen to other people. I don't know if
it's that he doesn't take them seriously, or he just feels that only
cues given by me should be obeyed.
Take it slow with this dog. No matter what he is doing, you need to be
easy and gentle with him or things will not get better.

--
Raven