[nagdu] dog problems

Raven Tolliver ravend729 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 8 20:25:55 UTC 2013

Ty,
There is no need to get snappy with the people who suggested leave the
dog alone. This is not bad advice, because let me tell you, a fearful
dog is, or can turn into, an aggressive dog. This is why it is
important to work at the dog's pace, and not at yours or Minh's.
Also, what you're saying is different from what Minh said.
First, this is about the relationship between your dog and your
girlfriend. Your dog does not like her. She has admitted that she has
behaved aggressively toward your dog, yelling, giving collar
corrections, and speaking sternly, when these things are obviously not
working and likely making the situation worse.
Second, raising your voice and yelling are 2 different things. I'm not
sure if you guys hang out/live together in an apartment or what, but
unless you are trying to get your dog's attention from across a field,
trust me, they can hear you perfectly fine. I never raise my voice to
call my dog, or any of the dogs I have trained. It is not necessary.
Bottom line: drop the yelling.
Third, you said that your dogs are comfortable enough to trust the
both of you. But Minh expressed the fact that your dog is not
comfortable around her. If the dog is avoiding her, not coming to her
at all unless she has a treat, hides from her, and yelps when she
plays with him, he does not trust her, he fears her. There could be
some underlying health issue as someone suggested; anything is
possible. But frankly, I believe the dog is afraid of her, and you
need to be very considerate of your dog's feelings, and Minh needs to
change the way she behaves toward your dog.
Now, training a dog to come when called is very hard. A surprising
number of people believe this is a basic, simple behavior/cue to
train, but it really isn't. There are two things that people do
frequently that hinder the dog's learning this behavior.
1. People often punish their dogs when they come to them. I've seen it
at the park when a woman has to call her dog a bunch of times, and
when he finally comes to her, she is yelling at him and gripping his
collar up. Any kind of behavior like this lessens the chances of your
dog coming to you when you call him. If you have to call your dog
twenty-five times, you still don't punish them when they come to you.
You rain praise upon them as if they just ended world hunger so that
they associate coming to you with good things.
2. Many people give in to their dogs, and after getting tired of
calling them, they just go to get/find the dog. When people do this,
they are communicating to their dog that the dog does not have to come
because their owner will go get them anyway.
You train that dog to come to you with a clicker and a toy, or a bag
of treats. Get your dog's attention with the toy, and of course, he
will come. Click! Give 'em the toy. Let 'em play for a minute or so,
then cue him to give the toy back with whatever cue you use--"drop it"
or the like. Repeat this several times. Make it a game, and make it
fun. Whenever he comes to you to get the toy, click! then give it to
'em. Start introducing the cue "come," "here," or whatever. The moment
he comes to you, say "come," click! give the toy. repeat. Then do it
all without the toy. If your dog won't pay attention to you without
it, do more than just call his name--snap your fingers, tap your
thigh, whatever.
Many people do not want to do training sessions for something like
coming when called, but training sessions like this are what will
improve the reliability, and it's playtime! Who would say no to that?
After several days of training sessions, get Minh involved. If the dog
decides not to come to her, do not allow her to coax or cue him to do
so. If he is not willing to approach her, even if she has a toy, you
must be the one to reassure him. This might take several days or a
couple weeks. You might have to use treats to draw him close to her,
and to reward him if he interacts with her in a positive way at all.
Use the advice in my other email as well.
Good luck.
Raven

Raven