[nagdu] dog day stories

Raven Tolliver ravend729 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 13 01:38:11 UTC 2013

I received the Golden Guy in early June of last year. I was very
nervous because I had never had a dog in my life. I was ecstatic
because I was getting a golden retriever, which is exactly what I
requested.
After the meeting in the lecture hall, I fell asleep in my room while waiting.
My instructor knocked on the door, and I flew out of bed. She brought
my dog in, and he went for the crate and started fiddling with the
latch.
The biggest moment was when my instructor unclipped her leash from his
collar, and I clipped my leash in its place.
When she left, I put on some music, petted the Golden Guy and walked
around with him a bit.
We then fed and park our dogs.
Afterward, we all went out into the lobby and had our dogs sit under
our chairs. The Golden Guy was not having any of it. He would not stay
down; he kept trying to play with the dog beside us; and he just kept
standing up whenever I finally got him to sit. My instructor had to
send us up to dinner first because he just would not settle. And if I
could add in a sidenote here, that was pretty stupid. If he wasn't
settling downstairs in the lobby, what would make him settle upstairs
in the dining hall? She should have shown me how to keep him settled.
Anyway, when I got upstairs, he still would not stay down. He kept
standing up, and I thought I would never get through dinner.
That night during lecture, he still did not want to lay down, and when
he did, he had crawled under the chair and laid down behind my chair.
My instructor was pretty useless in showing me ways or giving me
advice to keep my dog settled. I mean, she gave me a lot of good
advice and instruction concerning guide work, but it would have been
nice on learning different handling and obedience techniques,
especially things other than give him a correction when he doesn't
listen, which I received from returning grads as well. Corrections do
not work in this situation because all a correction communicates is
"stop it." The correction does not tell the dog what it should be
doing instead. Also, what She could have showed me is to use luring
with treats, which works with many dogs, and perfectly for dogs who
have had previous obedience training. Too bad I didn't learn this
until I started learning about dog psychology and dog training
techniques.

Raven