[nagdu] A wonderful training from Buffalo NY

marilyn t21114 at optonline.net
Sat Feb 2 12:37:34 UTC 2013

Hi Everyone,
I thought I would share with you an Educational training my agency had yesterday about people with disabilities with a man named Dave (two people on this list know him) from Buffalo, NY. It was a training about policy change , enforcing laws, meeting with our local Police, EMT and Fire departments to train them how to assist people with disabilities. Dave is not only a wonderful speaker but he kept our attention without anyone being bored for 7 hours. He did mention the NFB a few times. In his power point there was a story about Helen Keller and the changes she made for the blind and deaf community. I then told the audience how she challenged a group of business men to become the Knight of the Blind and they took up her challenge. That is how the Lions Clubs began and they are International. Since I am a Lion I was so happy this topic was brought up and of course Helen Keller who I have always admired for her drive and stamina to change the way people think of the blind and deaf.
I am also working with FEMA on the disability awareness in a disaster like we had a few month ago here on Long Island from Hurricane Sandy.
Marilyn and Anna