[nagdu] Do you really need to eat out with the dog?

Cindy Ray cindyray at gmail.com
Sun Feb 3 19:44:01 UTC 2013

Well, here is my take on the whole thing. The term "service dog" is being used way too broadly here. Mainly, the person was talking about emotional support dogs, though he did throw in some alert dogs as well. It was a general gritch session I think. But it does point up the problem. Is there a difference between service dogs and emotional support dogs? The other day when flying back from Houston, I received my boarding pass and was awaiting someone to walk with me to the gate. The ticketing agent came to me and said she had made me a new boarding pass because they had to document my emotional support animal. I said that he was a guide not an emotional support animal. This didn't matter. At the gate when I  questioned this, they said they had to document so they would know he was on board. I said I thought that if I walked on board with him it was pretty obvious. Then they said that this was to guard against people going on board who were not legally bringing a dog. I think all of these different activities that dogs are doing or alleged to be doing has muddied the waters until it is simply not clear what the lines are or whose dog can be where. The person writing this article runs a restaurant and doesn't want dogs in his place up on the chairs and on the benches and what because some of the people who are his customers would have a problem with it, and so might the health department if they were under inspection. I do think there is a potential problem here, but I'm not sure it was well articulated.

Cindy Lou